Specified Skilled Worker

What Is A Specified Skilled Worker (i) In Nursing Care?

In response to the growing labor shortage, the “Specified Skilled Worker” residence status was newly established in April of 2019 to allow foreign workers with certain specialties and skills to work across 14 industries, including nursing care. There are two types: Specified Skilled Worker (i) and Specified Skilled Worker (ii), but only Specified Skilled Worker (i) is available for nursing care.

Tests for a Specified Skilled Worker (i) in Nursing Care

There are three tests for Specified Skilled Worker jobs in nursing care: Nursing Care Skills Evaluation Test, Nursing Care Japanese Language Evaluation Test, and a test to measure the level of Japanese language proficiency. The Nursing Care Skills Evaluation Test and the Nursing Care Japanese Language Evaluation Test set the standard for workers to be an immediate asset in each field by measuring professional skills and knowledge of Japanese used on-site in nursing care. The level of Japanese language proficiency can be measured by the Japan Foundation Test for Basic Japanese or the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (N4 or better is required).

How to Study for the Japanese and Nursing Care Tests

To study for the tests to get the Specified Skilled Worker (i) in nursing care residence status, you can either study by yourself using textbooks/other materials or enroll in a Japanese language school. This article will introduce some recommended textbooks and websites for those who will primarily study on their own.

Substantial Support System from the Japanese Side

The country of Japan, local governments, industry organizations and facilities all offer support in various ways in an effort to make foreign nationals feel comfortable coming to Japan to be care workers. They not only provide support for you as a care worker, but also offer a wide range of comprehensive support ranging from language issues to information for daily living.

Our Voice

We interviewed some foreigners who are working in Japan as care workers.
Please use this as a reference for living in Japan, being a care worker, and studying Japanese.


Country of origin : Philippines
Year of arrival in Japan : 2016
Status of residence : Nursing Care
Japanese skill : N3


Country of origin : Philippines
Year of arrival in Japan : 2016
Status of residence : Nursing Care
Japanese skill : N2


We will answer questions from everyone.

There are registered support organizations. Individuals or organizations are commissioned by host institutions to support foreign nationals who are Specified Skilled Workers with tasks like securing residency and assisting with contracts that are necessary for everyday life.

In the Specified Skilled Worker System, you are not able to bring your family. However, those certified care workers who have acquired “national certification” can work and live permanently, and are able to bring their families.

Level N4 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (understanding of basic Japanese) is required.

In addition to nursing care for physical needs (such as assistance related to bathing, mealtimes, toilet needs, etc. depending on the physical and mental condition of users), the work also entails other support services (such as implementation of recreational activities and assistance with functional training).
*Home visitation services are not included here.


Click here for related links such as useful information. 


Would you like to work in Japan as a care worker? We share helpful information about the Specified Skilled Worker System, nursing care work, living in Japan, and studying Japanese in an easy-to-understand manner. 

This website was established and is operated by the management office of the Japan Care Worker Guide as part of the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare’s 2021 program to promote the acceptance of foreign nursing care worker.  

Follow Us

If you have an account, please follow the page and click “Like!”  

Scroll to Top